Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why I Stopped Writing

I stopped blogging for a really, really long time after a potential employer called my work "offensive and unprofessional" when I showed it to her after an interview. I was so embarrassed  I deleted the e-mail immediately and never told anyone about it (seriously, this is the first time I've even admitted it to myself). The whole thing made me question the kind of writer I want to be, and for the last year I have been trying to find a new voice that hopefully wouldn't repulse anyone trying to hire me.

The problem, though, is that my voice is who I am. I am honest and crude and sometimes say things that make people judgmental or uncomfortable-- but at least I am entertaining. I have been warned against becoming the "next Taylor Swift" who publishes her feelings for all to see, and have been asked by boys I've hooked up with to "promise not to write about them." While I can swear to maintain the anonymity of these boys (trust me, in most cases I would prefer to forget their names), I can't pledge not to laugh publicly at their expense. I get myself into a lot of terrible situations, both with boys and otherwise, and really the only way to deal with them is to laugh about them and hope that others laugh along with me.

Watch this video, which a friend sent to me after my own similar sexual mishap, and realize that if Louis CK's wife can forgive him for this-- anyone out there will eventually  find it in their hearts to forgive me, too.



In the spirit of my last semester of college, I pledge to blog regularly and honestly, and hope not to offend any of my readers (do any of you still exist??) along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment